This Kentucky Bicentennial Farm has been in the Henton family for ten generations. In 1780,
before Kentucky was a state, the family received a land grant from the state of Virginia for a
portion of the land that is today known as Henton Farm. Two hundred and forty-three years
later, Nathaniel Henton and Natalie Henton Lyster, together with their father Hoppy Henton,
were eager to work with Bluegrass Land Conservancy to protect their family farm with a
conservation easement. Today the Henton family can rest assured the conservation of their
prime farmland will be enjoyed in perpetuity for future generations.
The farm, consisting of some of the best soils in the state of Kentucky, qualified as our first
Kentucky NRCS easement under the new 2020 Farm Bill! Located in a Certified Agricultural
District this farm contains over 1.3 miles of frontage on well-traveled public roads. Of historical
significance, the farm is home to a brick federal-style house built in the 1800s and is the site of
the historic Grassy Springs Church and Church cemetery.
There are numerous wetlands, two groundwater springs, and a quarter mile of a tributary to
Glenns Creek located on the property. The farm is also located in the area delineated by the
Kentucky American Water Company and Frankfort Electric/Water Plant Board as contributing to
their public drinking water supplies.